Recently I shared a photo on Instagram of these glorious gooey Vegan Beetroot Brownies, spread thickly with a ganache like topping (which is actually made from avocado) and garnished with bright pink beetroot powder.
A few of you wanted to know the recipe. So as promised, here it is. Oh and did I mention this recipe is also wheat-free?
When making the vegan ganache, make sure you pick a perfectly ripe avocado. If you see any of those black stringy bits in it, then use it for something else. It really makes all the difference.
If, like myself you are trying to cut down on the white stuff (I’m talking sugar) then you can skip using it in the brownie mixture. You will be surprised how great it tastes without any, however the choice of course is yours.
- 1 medium organic raw beetroot (chopped into small chunks)
- 125ml almond milk or milk alternative of your choice.
- 125ml melted coconut oil
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp finely ground flaxseeds with 3 Tbsp of warm water. Let sit for 15 minutes before using )
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- *Optional* 3-5 tbsp of unrefined sugar (such as brown or coconut)
- 4 tbsp ground almonds
- 100g cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 3 heaped tbsp of cacao powder
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 6 tbsp of maple syrup
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Blend the chopped raw beetroot along with almond milk, vanilla extract, flax egg, coconut oil and salt in a high-speed blender until well combined.
- In a separate bowl mix the ground almonds, cacao powder and baking powder.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and pour into a lined brownie tin (I used an 8×8 inch tin) and bake in the centre of the oven for approximately 35-40 minutes. Be careful not to over bake!
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes, before placing in the fridge. *important* – the brownie must be completely cool before placing the ganache on top.
- While the brownie is cooling, make the ganache by putting all the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until you reach a thick glossy consistency and you can no longer see any green avocado bits.
- Spread the ganache evenly over the brownie, garnish with beetroot powder and place back in the fridge to set.
- Once set, I would recommend storing in an air-tight container at room temperature.
– ENJOY –